It is officially fall here in Italy, and the apple . No, this is not the real reason I made this cake actually I wanted to make or re-make the nectarine upside down cake I made yesterday but I ran out of nectarine; that's why I used my apples.. and it turned out absolutely delish!!!
The term coffee cake can refer to any of the following:
- A class of cakes intended to be eaten alongside coffee (for example, as part of a breakfast meal) or that may be eaten during a "coffee break" or offered to guests as a gesture of hospitality on or around a coffee table. Under this definition, a coffee cake does not necessarily contain coffee. They are typically single layer cakes that may be square or rectangular like a Stollen or loaf-shaped rectangular cakes, or they may be ring shaped. Coffee cakes may be flavored with cinnamon or other spices, seeds, nuts and fruits. These cakes sometimes have a crumbly or crumb topping called streusel and/or a light glaze drizzle. Some similarity to teacakes may be found, though teacakes are often smaller individual items served with tea.
- A cake, often sponge cake, which is made with coffee or has a coffee flavor.
First of all prepare this:
|You will need an apple, flour, Baking powder, brown sugar, butter, an egg, yogurt and vanilla extract|
|Peel and slice your apple|
|Add to them 2 TB brown sugar mixed with 1/2 ts cinnamon|
|Cream your butter with your sugar|
|Now, add your egg and mix|
|start adding your flour alternating with yogurt till both finish|
|your batter should look like that!|
|Now, the fun part... add half the batter in your pan and spread it evenly|
|Start adding your apple slices|
|Now add the rest of the batter and BAKE!|
|e Voilà !|
Apple Coffee Cake
You will need :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 125 gm Greek yoghurt or butter milk
- 1 large apple, sliced and peeled,1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 TB brown sugar .
- Preheat oven to 400°F, 180 c, placing the rack in the middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan and keep ready. or use a comfort silicon pan like mine, I love it!
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy; this should take about 3 minutes, then beat in the vanilla. Finally add the egg and beat well for another 2 minutes.
- Switch the mixer setting to low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk or yogurt, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined. Remember, do NOT over-beat.
- Spoon half the prepared batter into the cake pan, add your apple then spoon the rest of your batter.
- Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, roughly about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the cake pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Invert it onto a serving plate.
- By the way, this cake tastes just like a good-soft- apple pie.Yummm :)
A quick hint this cake best served when hot, heat it up a lil in a microwave.. add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top and ENJOY!
Your lovely comments and suggestions make me happy!